Thứ Sáu, 15 tháng 8, 2014

Siliconmicrodisplay ST1080 Review part 2 : Working and playing connected to a Windows 8 Lenovo X220T







This post is being typed whilst wearing the ST1080 , with loud music blasted through my Astro A40s , right now I look the very picture of a cyber punk ...Count Zero eat your heart out..  or at the very least a Daft Punk .. Working connected to a Windows 8 Lenovo X220T  , this is a test of text sharpness , with a desktop resolution of 1920 1200 , native 1080p for console fans , the text really is razor sharp or as razor sharp as you are going to get this generation of HMDs.

a 5mp shot through the left viewer of the ST1080 at 1920 by 1200 ..impossible to photograph!


Eyes Strain : blogging like this is also a test of eye strain , and I can tell you that the ST1080 causes far less eye strain than the Sony HMZT1 .


The HMZT1 is one of my favourite toys , the equivalent of strapping a cinema to your head , Biff Tannen constantly tapping your forehead and shouting McFly , and your chiropractor rubbing his hands with glee as your neck and back problems pay for his mortgage coupled with a beyond cinema and 3d tv experience that is good for around 5 console games and maybe 10 films which you eventually will get bored of vomiting over for the nth time . PC gaming is enhanced too , you have never seen a picture as rich as the one the twin OLEDs of the HMZT1 can burn on your retinas , it is also most impressive when comparing non 3D games on HMZT1 and even your twin 5120 by 1600 30 incher setup . Skyrim looks so much better you will be screaming for 4k OLED monitors to arrive sooner than later , FPS games like Battlefield 3 immerse you like you are spec ops ,Sam , Gabe or our hero Snake with optics strapped to our head ... 


All great until you go to move your neck... This is where the ST1080 is a win win win and also in other ways too As I said the HMZT1 is beauty beyond Cinema , Console or your present PC display and I know that includes 2560 1600 displays too.. but there is a caveat to this the Sony makes your eyes work for this retinal orgasm ... and this is where the strain comes in , in fact this is where the near vomiting and dizziness comes in , after your first uses of the HMZT1. 


More significantly after you have played your 5 games , watched your 10 movies , frolicked in a technicolour Skyrim and paid your chiropractor bill for the privilege you want to do things , like use the HMD for a PC display , type this blog , mess with some augmented reality joojoo , and watch the digitally remastered Star Trek TOS  on your tv whilst looking through your HMD . As you can with the ST1080 ,  the promise of which  is cool , what it does to your brain and eyes I do not know ...yet ... looks like I will be funding  medical practitioners mortgages for the foreseeable future .. 


Still no pain no gain , the ST1080 is letting me type this without my eyes working as hard as they have to on the HMZT1 , if you have used one you pretty much know the 720p native resolution scaling of 1080i or p of a PC desktop is murder on PC text display or content creation. And the way the optics work you either get blurred text to the left or right of the screen , outside the sweetspot . The HMZT1 is the champion when it comes to black , and rich colour , great for movies , but it is really a single use awesome toy .. and something you could probably impress Major Monoko with ...if she were real..


The ST1080 is the first truly multipurpose HMD : Right now I am listening to the headphones of my choice, connected to the control unit , and not the hmd!  typing on a 1080p monitor weighing 160g, Biff has been banished , and like whoaah dude I am actually getting some work done . Opposite me my twin 30 inch LCDs , sit silent , think of the power your saving by not having to power those beasts.


Comfort  and every day use testing : 


ST1080 vs HMZT1 : Get off your horse AND drink your milk .. or dismounting as we likes to call it round these here parts...


I just took my ST1080 off , felt like switching to the headsets headphones and looking out my window .. Coming from using the HMZT1 this is Joy Fantastic..


With just one hand I can just lift the ST1080 off , with the HMZT1 you are basically strapped in for the duration , just go easy on the Double Diet Dew if you are using your Sony , or  you may have to reuse the bottle if you know what I mean , seriously lifting the ST1080 , is as easy as lifting off your NHS specs , not at all like doing the Half Life de-headcrabbing ritual you go through with the HMZT1.




ST1080 vs HMZT1 : Saddle up and ride your pony .. in seconds ... neither wind nor rain.. 


I just put my ST1080 back on .. in seconds , no locking in or adjusting straps , or yoga breathing or posturing to find that sweet spot again like you do with the HMZT1 


And I just took it off , and put it on .... oh look a tweety bird ... ok I put it back on now and we are back to the review . 


Unlike the HMZT1 which disengages you from your world , the ST1080 shines in keeping you in your real world whilst you are doing all your favourite PC or gaming chores , at any time with effortless jedi confidence you dismount the ST1080 , do mundane actual reality tasks and within seconds put the unit back on and get back to virtual or augmented reality ... just remember to take the headphones out of your ears or they will be pulled out as you whip the unit off !


ST1080 vs HMZT1 : Side by side , Top down  , back and forth tests 


No not 3D formats , I will come to that in a second but something even more essential .  


Whilst typing this entry and listening to loud music inches away from the rest of the world I have been bobbing my head to the music up down , left right , gentle Daft Punk style , side to side , generally doing the funky Gibbon and a little Mettallica before the orchestral accompaniment days.


The weight of the ST1080 means you can bob  your head ,channel your  Daft Punkability  and Head banging skillz , or other cool moves that Kanye , Will Smith or errh Cartman would ...


More importantly for your health , your natural head or neck movements are not impaired,


What this means for me  is the ST1080 is perfect for headbanging and perhaps that dream of HMD Holy Grail ... augmented reality and head tracking . Of course people tried this with Sony HMZT1 , but let me tell you .. well ok you get the picture .. on the other hand the ST1080  paired with some tiny giros or scanned from afar by cameras or kinect  will do rather nicely as a head tracking augmented reality device. 


ST1080 vs Sony HMZT1 : moving movie viewing beyond the Cinema 3D experience 


ST1080: The ST1080 has beyond Cinema 3D without the eye strain or neck /forehead pain of the Sony HMZT1 


OK so let's touch on the 3D , currently I am typing this from my Lenovo X220T , from which I watched lengthy parts of Avatar 3D , Transformers 3D  , and I can tell you the 3D side by side versions that I watched hit you right in the gut. All the floaty tree spirits are in full effect in Avatar , and the end battle of Transformers , brings the most awesome vertigo feeling . In fact the vertigo is better than the HMZT1 , of course the colour is not as rich as the OLEDS , but again your eyes are not worked as hard with the ST1080 . The most impressive 3D effects occurred when Optimus was battling the worm like Deceptacon as he charges through the screen you feel like you are being dragged along , you feel it in your gut , you also get great vertigo in Avatar too . 


Sony HMZT1 :  This has a beyond Cinema 3D experience with the richest colours you have ever seen , but makes your eyes work and pay , as well as your head and neck !


The HMZT1 has the most beautiful colour reproduction of any monitor I have , that colour alone makes it outshine my once ultra high res 30 inch PC LCDS .Skyrim looks so rich you just stand there and gaze , FPS games are so immersive you wait with glee for the next thing to go boom .. If only it were 1080p native , and had more 3D formats ( not only side by side . top/bottom, but frame packed ) and were as light and portable as the ST1080 and as cheap , and caused less pain and suffereing ... wait what am I talking about I already have that device ... the Silicon Micro Display ST1080 ... 


Get the virtual picture?  For a start up I am seriously impressed with the ST1080 . 


The box is designed to be portable , I would love for some third party to make a hard case for this , the HMZT1 of course comes in one of those giant boxes that look great under a Christmas tree but not something you want to carry or open and reclose on a direct basis . 


Set up : The ST1080 is aimed at a different audience , setup menus do not have the beauty of the Sony designed ones , the controls are off the unit which is cool as it took weight and bulk off the head set .  There is more assembly of the ST1080 , but come on you are pretty core if you are reading this so it wont phase you much. 


Problems : with the ST1080 I get some background interference hissing with the headset detachable headphones , not with with external headsets like my Astro A40s .  I believe this is interference related ,or my Kryptonian relatives trying to contact me ..again , I will have more info when SMD get back to me . 


Frankly you got to give it to SMD , they designed , marketed and delivered , in my case 2 units 3 days early . And as a result I am a little closer to being Count Zero  . 


Criticisms : OK so the lead that connects your headset to the control set is not that long , the HMZT1s is very. But then the ST1080 is meant to be portable  and for me I want to be wearing it connected to my Raspberry PI Streaming Windows 8 from my laptop through Splashtop on my new iPad whilst i sit atop the the Amazonian Jungle canopy ..listening to some suitably loud music , whilst scanning the flora and fauna through some LAYAR action thanks to the 10% transparency of the ST1080 


Right that will be my next test , now where did I put my passport?


more to follow and remember ... Bob you head !


And in the name of all that is Science repeat this test at your leisure ; you will of course require the following :















this content is © and originated from thegameveda http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/  if you are reading it from any other site that has not provided a link back it has been leached 

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét