Thứ Bảy, 28 tháng 6, 2014

Windows 8.1 : Dual OS Augmented Asymmetrical Productivity : Using the cloud to bring fine Pen and touch editing control to desktop video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CC , Sony Vegas Pro and Movie Maker





When looking at any hardware or software the first thing I like to ask is, how can I uses it  improve  or augment any of my daily otherwise mundane tasks? Windows 8  does so on many levels, with the 8.1 update promising to take this further ..  This being thegameveda , I am not going to quote features off Microsoft's PR sheet one by one like your run of the mill review and state job done ... No I like to be ahead of the cloud.. not under it, so, Daniel Jackson what cool things have I discovered I can get up to with the neato features  Windows 8.1 brings ... 

For starters Windows 8.1 use  truly shines when combined with the cloud and ...iOS 7 .. Yes Apple fans, you read that right .. 

Like for  instance cross OS  video editing ...

The iPad 3 for me was a revelation, I could take, edit and upload 1080p video without reaching for a desktop or laptop .. Aided and augmented by  the beautiful minimalist touch interface of iMovie ... iMovie became THE  thing I used the iPad for .. 

Windows 8.1 runs awesomely well on the iPad too..through Splashtop : Here I am editing video using Adobe Premiere Pro CC from my Windows 8.1 desktop on my old iPad 3 .. 




The majority of the videos you see me upload are edited this way .. through the cloud .. using Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Windows Movie Maker but exploiting touch and the small portable form factor of the iPad...

You can't touch this ..?

Over on PC I have far more power and a desktop GPU, to crunch video with Open CL, dual 30 inch 2560 by 1600 monitors, but using video editing software with a mouse, trackpad and keyboard seems so 1970s..in fact  the UI hasn't changed much since the 80s ..... 

On the PC then when it comes to video editing...  I do not have performance issues ... I have input issues .. or so my therapist tells me...

But I tell him that user interfaces and control inputs need to evolve alongside faster hardware ..



Or can you ...?

Why not exploit Windows 8 multi pane and tasking, cloud asymmetry and pen and touch input ..to augment how we edit video ..?

You know ..use full desktop video editing software with the benefit of pen and touch and anywhere ..

Even if my 30 inch LCDs were touch based it is highly undesirable to use them as vertical touch screens or drag a pen across 60 inches of display ... And no I do not want to turn them into table tops either ..

I have a scenario where I edit video using a mundane mouse or keyboard set up on a powerful device that I have to be chained to .. 

My X220T has fairly powerful hardware and excellent pen and touch input, more importantly at 12.5 inches it is ultraportable .. which means I do not need to sit near my desktop or even turn on it's displays..

I want to exploit the power of a desktop on a tablet PC ..leaving the tablet PC to do other things.. we are going to run two separate instances of Windows 8.1 , one within another , one cloud based and one running on native hardware ..  with 0 slowdown ...

So how ? 

.. it takes seconds .. using Splashtop Streamer and Splashtop Windows 8 App .. I can take the power of my desktop running Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas Pro and erhh Movie Maker (laugh but it has it's uses) and AUGMENT and enhance video editing using Pen and touch input on my X220T .. 

Like so 





Things to note, streaming Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas Pro .. takes the load off the tablet you are using, you can thus use Windows 8.1 on the tablet and Windows 8.1 on the streamed side too .. 


This is enhanced and made  possible by Windows 8.1s new pane sizing features, in the iPad video above there is a point where I am running a 2560 by 1600 desktop with 3 panes, 2 Windows 8.1 Apps, IE 11 and Chrome browsers and Adobe Premiere Pro on one screen with no significant slow down ..   streaming to a Windows PC though we are:

Running  and exploiting Two Instances of Windows 8.1 on one  Windows tablet PC 

On the X220T or any Windows 8 Pro tablet you have lying around we can run two distinct Windows 8.1 instances and thanks to Windows 8.1 pane features we can get round the old Splashtop restriction of running full screen ... as within a Windows 8.1 pane Splashtop sees itself running in a full screen ... 

Alongside that streamed OS pane we can run our native Windows 8.1 installation on local hardware .. and thanks to the pane sizing feature ... run it alongside the streamed OS ... 

We could run OSX Mavericks streamed to that pane and have Windows 8.1 and OSX running alongside each other ..just give me time to save up for my Mac Pro cylinder/bin  ....or perhaps stream within streams ...to have many different Windows 8.1 instances running within each other... woahh ...deep .. spoon..? there is no spoon... 


Running  a 2560 by 1600 desktop on a 1366 by 768 tablet PC display

The streamed Windows 8.1 instance is working on my desktop , which has a far higher res than my tablet .. so why be held back by this physical limitation ...

See me adjust the res in the video ? I expected the screen to turn to garbage .. but it holds it's own .. all the text is legible ... now you have the advantage of hi res desktop , controlled by pen and touch on your otherwise GPU limited Windows 8.1 tablet PC .. 

But that is not all : 

Using Windows 8.1 panes we can run that  2560 by 1600 res cloud based Windows 8.1 instance alongside  a native resolution desktop on the same tablet screen ..  multiple OS instances at mixed resolutions .. like so :






So there you have it how we can use the Cloud and Splashtop , combined with Windows 8.1 new pane features to augment video edting with pen and touch .. 

Running multiple res operating systems connected through the cloud also opens up new horizons ..new ways of working. Windows 8.1 gives us powerful multi tasking opps in one instance , now we can have Windows installations running within Windows installations with independent desktop sizes ...


Beautiful Asymmetry 

Back in the day when Windows 8 was still alpha I noted I had it installed on several machines  .. those were X86  machines .., now though it is likely like me you have X86 OSX , iOS and Android devices. 

And in those dark ages it was assumed your hardware had to meet minimum specs and it's architecture would be designed to run a specific OS, now we live in very different times, where we expect everything everywhere ..and I find it is simple to achieve this  .. today I think nothing of running pro desktop productivity software or AAA Windows 8.1 games on my iPad or Android phone for that matter .or iGPU powered Windows 8 tablet ..  exploiting fine Pen and touch input .. and the power of asymmetrical cloud computing ... all of the streamed to devices are sorely under powered for serious productivity... but they have wonderful portability , touch screens and pen input , the desktops are over powered but chain you to them and a 70s UI control steadfastly adhering to an ancient Xerox doctrine ...so why not combine the best of each.. and enhance your routine tasks..?

Adobe and Sony will soon move  their productivity suites forwards using cloud based and touch features, the way we work and play with anything digital is evolving ...augmented even... and I get a kick out of getting  all these disparate rival hardware and software systems working together.... 

We have all the tools now for cross OS cloud based augmented productivity .. as always the user is ahead of the developer  .. finding a use for all this cool stuff now is what I like to do .. 

The future is not one in which we see Android vs iOS vs Windows vs OSX  or x86 vs RISC.. that is over, the future is one in which  all these devices work together for you ... 

And heck it's not even the future... it is the now ... 

Now if only PlayStation 4 and Xbox ONE could get along so well ... hmmmh ... I think I will test this tomorrow ..after all the launch line up is hardly inspiring...



this content is © and originated from thegameveda http://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/  if you are reading it from any other site that has not provided a link back it has been leached 

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét